- On-premises datacenter
- Cloud-based Virtual Machine
USE ONE LICENSE IN TWO PLACES SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH WINDOWS SERVER DATACENTER EDITION
This is known as the “Azure Hybrid Use Benefit” for Windows Server Datacenter Edition and it gives the licensee the ability to use a single Windows Server Datacenter Edition license simultaneously in both a physical server in-house as well as in Azure.
- EXAMPLE #1:
An example of this would be an organization that has an existing Windows Server in their datacenter running a line-of-business application (like an ERP application), that they’d like to gradually migrate systems to Microsoft Azure without decommissioning the servers on-prem, and don’t want to purchase additional licenses for use in the cloud.
- EXAMPLE #2:
The licenses however are not tied any any specific workload. Another example is an organization that has a lot of Windows Server instances in their datacenter and would like to stand up Windows Server in the cloud for other workloads, and don’t want to purchase additional license for use in the cloud.
(Note: If you do not have Windows Server Datacenter Edition, there is a step-up price available that allows you to upgrade your existing Windows Server Standard Edition. For more information, visit http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing and http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A1647EE-3FC7-47F2-9AFE-470AD5E5D856/StepUpLicenses.pdf)
CONVERT ONE WINDOWS SERVER LICENSE INTO 2 VIRTUAL MACHINES WITH WINDOWS SERVER STANDARD
Alternatively, one can move or transition their license from their datacenter to Microsoft Azure when using Windows Server Standard.
This entitles the user to implement 2 Virtual Machines w/ 8 cores each at no additional Server OS licensing cost.
VALUE: 41% COST SAVINGS ON CLOUD VIRTUAL MACHINE INSTANCES
The value to an organization to using the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit is a dramatic reduction in cost.
Not having to re-purchase the Windows Server license by leveraging the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit reduces the cost of cloud VM instances by 41%.
There are some basic requirements to obtain the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit
- AZURE ONLY: Only applies to running VMs within Microsoft Azure – not applicable to any other cloud hosting service. This grants 2 VMs using 8 cores each per license.
- SOFTWARE ASSURANCE REQUIRED: Customers must have Software Assurance (aka ‘maintenance’) on their Windows Server licenses.
- SIMULTANEOUS USE REQUIRES DATACENTER EDITION: Requires licenses to be Windows Server Datacenter Edition to simultaneously use Windows Server in both on-prem datacenters as well as Azure.
For more information, visit the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit site:
- SITE: Microsoft Azure Hybrid Use Benefit
- DOWNLOAD: Azure Hybrid Use Benefit datasheet