Microsoft HoloLens is available in two “editions”:
So what’s the difference between the two?
There is a video & a text-based explanation of some of the additional features included in the Commercial Suite.
Key Commercial Features:
- Kiosk mode. With HoloLens kiosk mode, you can limit which apps to run to enable demo or showcase experiences.
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) for HoloLens. Your IT department can manage multiple HoloLens devices simultaneously using solutions like Microsoft Intune. You will be able to manage settings, select apps to install and set security configurations tailored to your organization’s need.
- Windows Update for Business. Controlled operating system updates to devices and support for long term servicing branch.
- Data security. BitLocker data encryption is enabled on HoloLens to provide the same level of security protection as any other Windows device.
- Work access. Anyone in your organization can remotely connect to the corporate network through virtual private network on a HoloLens. HoloLens can also access Wi-Fi networks that require credentials.
- Windows Store for Business. Your IT department can also set up an enterprise private store, containing only your company’s apps for your specific HoloLens usage. Securely distribute your enterprise software to selected group of enterprise users.
This is a table that explains what the differences are between the two releases.
Here are some references available online, buried in Microsoft.com: