It was a particularly well-received announcement as earnings per share came in at 69 cents relative to analyst’s expectation of 58 cents.
More importantly, in arguably Microsoft’s most important businesses, Azure revenue grew by 102% (up 108% in constant currency) while Azure compute usage more than doubled from the same period last year.
Here’s some of the market reactions:
- 24/7 WALL ST: “Why Microsoft Wowed Investors” http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-microsoft-earnings-wowed-investors-2016-07-19
- WALL STREET JOURNAL: “Microsoft Earning Up, cushioned by its Cloud Business”
- MONDAY MORNING: “Is Microsoft Stock a Buy After 2016 Q4 Earnings?”
- USA TODAY: “Microsoft shares leap off earnings”
- BLOOMBERG: “U.S. Stocks Rise Amid Earnings From Microsoft, Morgan Stanley”
- DALLAS BUSINESS JOURNAL: “Cloud helps drive jump in profit as Microsoft surprises investors”
- RECODE: “Microsoft’s earnings report shows it is becoming a serious force in the cloud”
- CNN MONEY: “Microsoft’s Big Bet on the Cloud is Paying Off”
- ZACKS RESEARCH: “Microsoft 4Q16 Earnings Show Strengthening Cloud Position”
Here’s some of the artifacts from the announcement yesterday, including the recording & the PowerPoint presented:
- Analyst Webcast Recording featuring Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella & CFO Amy Hood (Audio + slideshow)
- Downloadable PowerPoint Presentation from the Analyst Call
- Microsoft Q4 FY2016 Earnings Press Release