Exchange Server 2013 Preview is now available for download along with it’s tech docs. They describe the 2013’s release as focusing on the following:
- Remain in control, online and on-premises.
Exchange Server 2013 enables you to tailor your solution based on your unique needs and ensures your communications are always available while you remain in control, on your own terms – online, on-premises, or a hybrid of the two.
- Do more, on any device.
Exchange Server 2013 helps your users be more productive by helping them manage increasing volumes of communications across multiple devices and work together more effectively as teams.
- Keep your organization safe.
Exchange Server 2013 keeps your organization safe by enabling you to protect business communications and sensitive information to meet internal and regulatory compliance requirements.
A WORD ABOUT EXCHANGE 2013 “DATA LOSS PREVENTION”
One capability that is not specifically mentioned by alluded to by the final bullet above is Exchange Server 2013’s new “Data Loss Prevention” functionality, an enhanced set of capabilities that enables an organization to effectively place a “filter” on all communications to avoid having the wrong data leave the company.
It essentially is a set of services & administrative features that apply specific pattern matching & transport rules to email communications and allows administrators to templatize these “conditions” and “actions” sort of like Group Policy… but for email. This allows to testing, packaging of policies, application to specific targets but not others, etc.
One thing to know is that this new DLP feature appears from what I’ve been able to gather to require Exchange Server 2013 Enterprise CAL, so a stock Exchange Server 2013 Standard CAL license won’t be enough. You’ll need both Std & Ent CALs licensed to use this feature.
More on this capability is written about in the TechNet docs for Exchange Server 2013: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150527(v=exchg.150)
If you’re looking to try Exchange Server 2013 in your lab, the following is recommended:
- Download the Exchange Server 2013 Preview installation bits
- Review the System Requirements
- Prepare your lab Active Directory environment
- Install Exchange Server 2013 Preview in your Lab
- Configure Exchange Server 2013 Preview in your Lab
- DOWNLOAD: Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Preview
- DOWNLOAD: Technical Documentation for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Preview, Exchange Online Preview, and Exchange Server 2013 Preview Hybrid Deployments (.CHM)
- ONLINE: Microsoft Technical Documentation for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Preview